If you’ve been carrying out some research into the best website for your business, you will definitely have heard about WordPress. It’s probably the most popular CMS (Content Management System) in the opensource market and in fact, it’s thought that around 60% of the world’s websites have been created with WordPress. Businesses like to use WordPress because it’s a globally recognised platform, the software is free to download and so there is no skills shortage when it comes to finding someone to help manage and develop the website. It’s also easy to find free design themes, plugins and templates to use, which can help to keep costs down but also make it easier for less experienced team members to update website content and add new functions.
But there is another popular option for business websites - a custom-built CMS. These types of websites are designed and built by an experienced web developer, who will work with the business to ascertain their needs for managing and updating the website. A custom CMS is tailored to the business needs, uses individually created code instead of free software, and generally restricts team member access only to the things they need to change, rather than the whole site.
The Pros & Cons Of Wordpress CMS
As mentioned above, WordPress websites are easy to get started and can be evolved by team members who are not necessarily web developers.
Advantages Of Wordpress Websites:
- Using a free or cheap theme, a WordPress website can be live within a few days
- WordPress has thousands of “plugins” that can be added to a site to give it new functions such as social media share buttons and contact forms
- You can access most areas of the website and make changes whenever you would like
Disadvantages Of Wordpress Websites:
- There’s always a risk of a theme being used by other businesses and your website failing to look unique
- Access to update certain parts of the site will require your team members to have full “Admin” rights, which means they could accidentally make changes that break the site or introduce security vulnerabilities
- WordPress websites are very vulnerable to hacking as the code used is available to anyone, therefore professional hackers can easily cause problems and steal data and content from your site
- A lot of plugins don’t allow for design changes, meaning you’re limited to a particular design, that may not necessarily fit in with the rest of the website’s branding.
The Pros & Cons Of Custom-Built CMS
Larger businesses with more money to spend may find that a custom-built CMS poses less risk to the business, particularly when there is a team of several different job roles needing to access the site and its data.
Advantages Of Custom-Built CMS:
- The site will be very secure from hacking attacks, as it will be built with custom code that is much harder to “crack”
- Team members’ access can be limited only to the parts of the website they need to carry out their job roles, meaning there is no risk of accidental design changes
- The site can be completely bespoke to the business needs, with all areas being styled exactly to the brand
- The CMS for updating blogs, images or page sections can be simplified making it easy for inexperienced staff to use
Disadvantages Of Custom-Built CMS:
- It can cost more to ask a developer to build a website completely bespoke to your business needs, and will take longer for the site to be ready to launch
- Overall access to the website “behind the scenes” may be limited, meaning that your business will be dependent on the original developer to make changes to certain areas, incurring further costs
- Custom-built websites often come with a monthly hosting and updates package to keep the site secure, which incurs a higher cost
At Just Some Coding, what’s most important to us is that we advise our clients on their best options and to give our customers the tools that are exactly right for their business. This means that we’re flexible about the web development solutions we offer. We can create WordPress websites for our clients, if this website solution fits the business theme. But we also create larger custom designed and built solutions for more complex businesses who need a flexible e-commerce solution. Whatever your needs are, contact us for advice and guidance for the best website solution for your business.